Valentine's Day can be stressful, no doubt.
You've got to be on your A-game and make sure you're going above and beyond to take care of your right-hand woman. New to the dating game? Then it's just your time to shine.
HUMANFITPROJECT contributors Rob Smith and Erica Rico prepare two healthy-ish dessert recipes: strawberry tarts and almond butter cups.
Whip them up on your own to surprise her or make them together for a fun night in (away from the crowds and overpriced menus).
1. How to make strawberry tarts
- 2 tsp coconut oil, melted, plus two more for pan
- 2 cups pecans, walnuts, or almonds
- 5 tbsp agave syrup (nectar), divided
- 2 tbsp whole-wheat flour (replace with buck flour to make gluten-free)
- 1 tsp ground ginger (add 1 tsp extra)
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 lb fresh strawberries, hulled, sliced
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 1 tsp ground flaxseed
- pinch of cinnamon
- Lightly brush muffin cups with coconut oil and set aside.
- Pulse nuts in a food processor until coarsely ground. Add 3 teaspoons agave syrup, flour, ginger, salt, and 2 teaspoons coconut oil. Process until coarse dough forms.
- Gather into a ball and press 1 heaping teaspoon of dough firmly onto bottom sides of each muffin cup. Chill for one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Bake crusts until firm and golden around edges, about 8-10 minutes. (Let cool in pan on a wire rack for at least 10 minutes before removing.)
- Place strawberries, lemon juice, and remaining 2 tsp agave syrup in a medium bowl. Scrape vanilla beans out of the pod. Stir well, crushing a few berries to release the juices.
- Using a spatula or butter knife, remove tart shells from pan and fill with strawberry mixture. Serve immediately.
2. How to make almond butter cups
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 3 tbsp agave
- 2 tbsp almond butter
- Mix the powder, oil, and agave together.
- Fill muffin tins a quarter of the way with chocolate mixture.
- Freeze for 5 minutes (or until firm).
- Place one tsp of almond butter on top, then drizzle chocolate on top. Refrigerate until hard.
Makes 6 cups